Monday, June 20, 2011

Analysis Paralysis (Week 2-1512)

Managing two blogs--that's a big step for me! Just when I think I've got it all together I realize that I haven't even checked in my other class! I am taking Math 1510 as well from Central Lakes College. I thought I had everything organized when it hit me--I better log into Math 1512 as well!

The content for this week was interesting. It is about analyzing data. I've refreshed my memory on finding the mean, mode, median, range, and midrange. I feel like I've accomplished so much! Some of this stuff seems basic to me but then again, why am I struggling with it? Oh yes, it's because it is VERY basic. We are analyzing the hows and whys of math. I've been taught a specific equation and have memorized it. I've never learned why it is this way or that way. This course is going to help me figure it out.

The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics provides a guide for those involved in the education of mathematics. This guide is called the "Principles and Standards for School Mathematics."  Here, it says that all programs should teach students to
  1. formulate questions
  2. select & use appropriate methods
  3. develop & evaluate predictions
  4. understand & apply concepts of probability
My biggest concern is whether or not I will be able to teach this students. What methods am I going to use to spark interest in doing these activities? I will have to come up with a plan that will motivate my students to want to learn this. Perhaps I will let them choose a topic for collecting and analyzing data. I will have to look into different activities.

Another challenge in this course is the blog. Hopefully, the blog will let me reflect on what I've just learned in addition to summarizing my thoughts on it. Right now, my thoughts are too confusing to summarize! Maybe next week things will settle down. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment