Thursday, July 21, 2011

Never thought I would be so involved in manipulation....(Week 7--Math 1510)

My final week for one of my online math courses emphasizes the use of manipulatives. I think back to when I was a student and all I used was a chalkboard, pencil, and paper. I think to what I use now as a college student--pencil, paper, and calculator. I feel like I'm a very industrious student if I put time and effort into flashcards. I am amazed that I actually learned the things I did. With the use of all the manipulatives available now, how in the world did I learn in the past?

One of the major things that changed the classroom environment in my opinion is the Smartboard. Remember when colored chalk was exciting? The Smartboard is just like a large interactive computer screen. It gets kids' attention and does so much more than the chalkboard. The Smartboard allows the teacher to participate in interactive activities with virtual manipulatives. Not only does something like this give kids the hands-on experience but it also keeps their attention! Chances are slim that Little Johnny is going to zone-out with interactive games available on a screen three times the size of his body!

So how will this change my teaching style? For one, I am definitely going to have to keep up on the technology. Something like this does not allow me to get out of lesson planning. More resources are available to me through this new technology. For example, there are many websites available that provide guidelines for lesson plans on the Smartboard. I will also have to remember that I can't always rely on technology. There will be days when the system is down or the Internet connection isn't working. I will have to remember that not all substitute teachers will know how to work the Smartboard. Just like all students don't learn with pencil and paper, not all students will learn from the Smartboard. I will need other resources as well. Luckily, there are many companies that will have manipulatives available for the classroom. These will come in very handy, especially if I go on to become a Special Education teacher. Never did I think I would be so involved in manipulation!

No comments:

Post a Comment